6/21/07 10:51 pm - OTAKON 2007
OTAKON 2007, BITCHES. TIME TO GET CRAZY WITH DTOID AND JTOR IN MARYLAND!
Now, just to work on the press applications.
6/21/07 10:51 pm - OTAKON 2007
OTAKON 2007, BITCHES. TIME TO GET CRAZY WITH DTOID AND JTOR IN MARYLAND!
Now, just to work on the press applications.
3/20/07 10:32 am - T_T
Ugh. So, it looks like I've got a C right now in American History. This especially sucks since I was originally going to be an American History major (now planning on East Asian history). It's sort of a vicious cycle: Since it's an intro course, and I already know the material, I don't try hard. I have other classes which require a lot more attention (like Modern Korea), and so I focus energy on that. In the end, it ends up that I get really punished by an overly-critical TA. He keeps criticizing me on my essays, which I'm actually pretty good at normally. Hopefully I can turn things around with the paper on My Lai -- whenever that gets assigned. That's what I hate about a class that just has a participation grade, midterm/final, and 2-3 essays.
This is so problematic because my parents are critical of my grades. Last semester was a 3.6. Here's how it could possibly end up for me:
Film Noir (3): A
TRF 255 (3): B+
Japanese 4 (4): A
Modern Korea (3): A-
American History 2 (3): C
PHI 107 (3): B
And with this, I'd end up with about a 3.2-3.3. I have a pretty good feeling that this won't be acceptable at all. So, I'm hoping to bring up American History, and if possibly, Philosophy. TRF midterm is later today, so I hope I do well on that.
God, I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry horifically about my grades. Well, I guess that dream is down the drain. And you know what? This won't be my fault for trying to prioritize my classes -- it'll be my fault for spending time on Destructoid. So, most likely, my parents won't hear any of it and just forbid me from doing stuff for them. I already got to miss out on GDC and Miami, and will be missing out on PAX and probably TGS -- what more is there to take?
3/12/07 07:43 pm - Identity Crisis, and some thoughts
So, I haven't written in here in forever. Anyways, I just got done reading Identity Crisis, which is a crossover comic in the DC Universe. This is one of those masterfully written comics that I think is incredibly important for people to read. Really, even if you've never read an issue of any DC comic in your life, give Identity Crisis a chance. Not only is the story wondefully told, it's the leadup to Infinite Crisis, 52, and One Year Later, where the DCU currently is.
2/2/07 07:12 pm - A note to all you artists!
Feel free to enter, as it's got a nice prize.
1/14/07 10:17 pm - Vegas story
Here's my summary of Vegas that was my Weekend Reading article.
So, now that CES is done and over with, I thought I'd take some time to reflect on my first tech convention, and give you all an insight as to what happened. I think this is important, because you should know that this wasn't all fun and games; it was work nearly 24/7. I would say that most of us averaged 4 hours of sleep a night, and 1 1/2 meals per day, with Ron, Rob, and Niero getting even less sleep than that. And I thought I'd have free time. Haha.
So read on if you feel like hearing an account of my time at Vegas.
The flight into Vegas wasn't a problem, and it was interesting to meet everyone. Puppet was the first person I met, and I must say, when I first saw him, my thoughts were, "Dear Lord, Ron is going to rape this boy." Otherwise, people were just about as I expected them to look, except for Niero. It's really weird to finally meet the man you've only known as a robot helmet. I didn't have too much time to contemplate all this, as we were then heading off to the convention center to pick up all our stuff and then go crazy.
Let me tell you: CES is massive. Massive as in I walked through Central Hall for 20 minutes without stopping and didn't reach the other side. In fact, I never walked the full distance of any of the halls, they were simply that massive. So on the first day, I ended up getting to meet the lead designer of Crysis, some of the people who worked on Shadowrun, and a ton of other game designers. Then, the big guns came out. I got to meet Peter Moore and Major Nelson! Want to see me act completely like a schoolgirl? You can't, because the cameras weren't focused on me. So by now, it's around 6pm, and I last ate at 4:45am., and it being about the same for Niero, Ron, and Rob.
So now that we've headed back to the hotel, Ron, Rob, Niero, and Dale are all heading out to a private Microsoft event at 9, so the rest of us go and grab food for everyone at the Subway/McDonald's across the street. So now it's up to Puppet, Pedro, Fronz, CTZ, and myself to stay entertained. The Internet is $6 per hour for a 56k connection, so that's pretty much out of the question. So, we're out on the streets for a while, until we head back to the hotel room to dick around and start blogging. We end up crashing at around 1am, except for Fronz, who's up until 3am, blogging for Destructoid and The Last Boss.
Bright and early at 8am is when we all get up, so that we can start heading out to appointments. I grabbed a quick breakfast at McDonalds, while Niero got a pastry at the Nyko event. Breakfast of Champions, for sure. From there, everyone is moving from the Vegas Club and Casino to the Flamingo while I go meet with Sandio Tech, IBM, and Ace Bayou. So by this time, it's 3pm, and lunch stopped being served at 1:30pm, so I am out of luck for food. I head back to the hotel and we do some blogging, since that room only charges $12 per day to use the Internet, and it has a better connection. Around 5pm, All of us except for Ron, Rob, and Dale, head out to a private suite that Sony Online Entertainment. It was great to meet all these designers and have them tell us all about the games and to see stuff that isn't going to be coming out for months. After that, we order some pizzas around 10pm and finally get some food in us while Ron and Rob went out to another party.
Let me take a quick moment to explain here that these "parties" do not consist solely of Ron and Rob having a good time. They're introducing themselves and Destructoid to people at 1up, Microsoft, Sony, and many other big name companies that don't know us really well, and telling them all about the site. So, it's more work than fun.
So, back at the hotel, we're up until about 3am blogging, while Fronz is up until 6. Wednesday was more relaxed, with us moving from The Flamingo to Ceaser's, and then heading out to Sand's to introduce to robot to the gaming section of CES. This is actually where we handed out most of our business cards, and hopefully are going to get some business opportunities for Destructoid. It was cool to meet a bunch of porn stars just by standing outside the entrance to the AEE. I actually got to talk to a porn star in Japanese as well! So, after all this, we finally get back to the hotel around 6 or 7, and we all go out to dinner together as a group. It may have been cheesy, but it was fun as hell to finally relax. We then head back to record our video podtoid, where Fronz cuts Ron in the ear with the robot helmet by headbutting him. We need to do more of these things.
Finally, it's Thursday. Dale is gone, and now it's time for everyone but me to go to AVN, mainly because I wanted to find some advertising opportunities for Destructoid while I'm at CES. So, I go and whore myself out at the Convention Center for a while, only to head over to Sands around 3pm, where AVN is also located. The guys are busy being filmed by G4, so after I get bored wasting time, I go visit Patrick Norton, who we met on Wednesday. We talked for a while, and then he took one of his co-workers and me out to dinner! The guy is totally awesome and really chill, and is a normal person with no sense of ego about him. Finally, it's time to pack and head out home. I caught no sleep on the plane, which was fun, and now I'm back to functioning normally...almost.
So, you see, while CES was a blast, it was a hell of a lot of work. We were constantly trying to answer emails or make plans for Destructoid, or do whatever we could to make the site known to more people. It was utter hell, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Especially since I got to know everyone at CES better. I love all you guys. Yes, even Summa. He's pretty cool if you actually interact with him in person.
12/31/06 01:02 pm
Oh, and today's the last day to win a box set of FLCL on Japanator. Go check it out, yo.
12/13/06 11:11 pm
Hey guys, I've got a question for you all:
What sort of content do you think should be up on Japanator?
11/21/06 09:28 pm - Stolen from Matt
11/20/06 01:04 pm
Let me take a two minute break from pure bliss to say:
Wii + Excite Truck + Zelda. Metal Slug Anthology and Elebits were delayed, which makes me a sad panda.
11/11/06 05:17 pm - So, I'm alive. Fancy that.
Where have I been? Sitting at my computer all the damn time. Doing what? No no no, not that. Japanator has launched, though. www.japanator.com Go check it out now, as I'm proud of it, and I'm hoping it'll really take off after a while. We're also giving away all the english volumes of the Ouran High School Host Club manga. I encourage you to all tell your friends and anime/manga clubs about it, 'cause we need traffic to get advertisers, and advertisers make a happy Brad.
Anyways, other than that, schoolwork and jobs have been hectic, and I seem to never have a quiet day. Even now, I'm working on Destructoid's media kit to send out to companies.
Ugh, well, feel free to find me on AIM or GTalk and say hi. No real time to post here -_-
10/26/06 11:48 am - No cut for you!
I'm forcing the meme upon you all. Why? Because I'm evil! MWHAHAHA! Actually, it should be pretty easy for you all.
1. Put your library on shuffle.
2. Post the first line from each of the first 30 songs it plays.
3. Make people guess. NO CHEATING
4. Bold it out when someone gets it.
5. If you know it, feel free to reply!
1. "Saturday night, and you're still hanging around; you're tired of living in your one horse town." - Captain Jack, Billy Joel (Guessed by lightgamer)
2. "The shankill butchers run tonight, you'd better shut your windows tonight."
3. "It was a cold and wet December day, when we touched the ground at JFK. "
4. "We ready? Just about...Let's go. Hey God, I'm just a little man, I've got a wife and family..."
5. "Every night, in my dreams, I see you, I feel you." - My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion (Guessed by hopeful_writer)
6. "Backstroke lovers always hidin' 'neath the covers till I talked to your daddy, he say..."
7. "Eyes are feeling heavy, but they never seem to close. The fan plates on the cieling spin, but the air is never cold."
8. "Bust it! This is a tale for all the fellas, try to do what those ladies tell us, get shot down 'cause your over zealous, play hard to get and the females get jealous."
9. "Mother mother, tell your children, that their time has just begun. I have suffered for my anger, there's wars that can't be won."
10. "Swaying room as the music starts, strangers making the most of the dark."
11. "I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage."
12. "Will drive you...willl drive you...will drive you...MAD! Roxanne...you don't have to put on that red light, walk the street for money..." - El Tango De Roxanne, Moulin Rouge (Guessed by borrie)
13. "Drink the water, drink it down. This time I know I'm bound to spit it back up."
14. "I...I fought the angels here today. Hope, my defeat will end this plague."
15. "Bobby's driving through the city tonight, through the lights in a hot new rent-a-car." - Say Goodbye to Hollywood, Billy Joel (Guessed by lightgamer)
16. "Load up on guns, bring your friends, It's fun to lose, and pretend that she's overboard."
17. "Today I'm living like a rich man's son, tomorrow morning I could be a bum."
18. "Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you, having fun. Where have all the bastards gone?"
19. "I was a young boy that had big plans, but now I'm just a shitty old man."
20. "Here it is, one more glass for these broken hands goes down for you."
21. "Full Moon sways, gentle in the night of one fine day."
22. "Ain't it a glorious day, right as a mornin' in May, I feel like I could fly."
23. "When it all falls down. Man, I promise, she's so self conscious, she has no idea what she's doin' in college."
24. "I believe in medication, and I believe in therapy, and I believe in crystal light, because I believe in me."
25. "Maybe I've been living in my head, the rest of me is dead. I'm dying for truth!"
26. "Jillian was her name, she was sweeter than Aspontane, her kisses reconfigured my DNA and after that, I was never the same. And I loved her more than Marlon Brando loved soufflet."
27. "Kiss kiss, fall in love!" - Sakura Kiss, Ouran High School Host Club (Guessed by borrie)
28. "I've been waiting for a long time for this moment to come by, I'm destined for anything at all."
29. "Well, my since my baby left me, I found a new place to dwell, it's down at the end of lonely street"
30. "Should I, could I? I set the wrong things right a thousand times. If I could just rewind, I see it in my mind. If I could turn back time, you'd still be mine."
10/22/06 10:11 pm
Friday morning, my parents had Dakota put down. I didn't find out until about a half hour ago. My parents wanted me to enjoy my weekend, and I'm thankful for that. Dakota had been sick, as he kept losing weight even though we'd feed him more food. There was no sign of cancer, but there was definitely something wrong with his intestines. They said it looked like there was a thickening of the lining in them. Thankfully, I didn't have to see him as he was this past couple weeks. He had increasingly bad problems with bladder control, and sometimes defecating in his room at night. From the lack of nutrition, he had experienced pretty bad muscle degeneration, so my dad actually had to pick him up in order for him to stand. For the past week, he hadn't eaten any food. Even for this photo, I hadn't been there to see him. God, this is going to be hard to return home for Thanksgiving.
I'll miss you, puppy.
10/18/06 01:30 am
I'd like to do damage control, but it's 1:30 in the morning, so I'll see what tomorrow brings...
10/16/06 11:58 pm
10/11/06 10:52 pm
10/11/06 12:21 pm
10/3/06 05:30 pm
Well, good news and bad news. I understood today's Neuroscience lecture pretty well, but Senator Brownback's office said they're not interested in an interview. Ah well. I'll take grades over a senatorial interview most any day.
10/3/06 11:56 am
So, I've been pursuing interviews with Sony and Nintendo for about 2 weeks now, with some "success", if you even want to call it that. My PR contacts at both companies are "looking into" me doing an interview with someone. Nintendo has been very enthusiastic about it, but is still evasive. Sony, on the other hand, is hard to reach, but seems like they'll definitely give me someone to talk to. So, in the meantime, I'm working on other interviews to try and bring up my skills and portfolio. I just tried calling the offices of Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kansas) and Congressman Jeff Stearns (R-Florida). Both of these men have introduced the "Truth in Video Game Rating Act" to their respective houses of Congress. Asking for an interview was interesting. As soon as I said the name of my organization is "Destructoid", I could hear the sour taste in their mouth. Yes, I can hear taste. So, they directed me to other people's voicemails within the office, and I've left messages along with my number to ask for them to call me back. If I don't hear from them by Friday, I'll give another call, and hopefully they'll realize that I'm serious.
In terms of classes, it seems that I'm getting a take home test in TRF and in History of Modern Japan. Conversation won't have a midterm, and I figure just another cooking experiment will be the midterm for Food Science. Neuroscience will be a scantron form, probably. I feel kinda overwhelmed in that class. I read the material and I listen to the lecture, but I really don't feel like I can handle it. Sometimes, it just seems like too much, and its way too technical for me. I'll have to make an effort to visit with the TA or someone, and make a list of questions that I'll have. That's really the only class that I'm worried about, since I don't know how well I'm doing.
9/29/06 10:25 am
Oh theatre hopper...
9/26/06 01:47 pm
So, I ended up skipping TRF today because I was too tired. Then, I go to look at the Neuroscience reading, and lo and behold, it's about eyes. Reading through the chapter was utter torture for me, so I've decided to skip that lecture too, since I think it'd be unbearable for me. Now, I just feel kinda shitty for some reason. Whoo -_-